Friday, December 14, 2018

TechMas Tip #5&6: Common Sense & Informed Delivery

Today, I'm sharing two different resources that will be useful not only for teachers and students, but parents and advocates of kids' well being in this digital age.  I'm starting with Common Sense, "an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to helping kids thrive in a rapidly changing world."  
TechMas Tip #5: Common Sense
Common Sense has been around for quite some time now and I know I share it every year, but as passionate as I am about the importance of digital citizenship and cyber security, it deserves to be on this list.  Common Sense has a complete K-12 Digital Citizenship curriculum for educators.  They include Spanish materials, as well.  This year they are rolling out an updated digital citizenship curriculum in phases to meet the needs of our ever changing digital world.  Below are the launch dates for the new lessons.

Not only does Common Sense offer a thorough Digital Citizenship curriculum with lesson plans, videos, activity sheets, etc. they offer EdTech reviews and resources, professional development, and a blog to keep you on top of everything relating to educational tech. 

In addition to all the resources that Common Sense offers for educators, I love that they provide a wealth of information for parents. I admit even in though I'm in the educational technology realm, I still don't know everything.  Having a middle school daughter has taught me that, for sure.  I love that they review movies, TV programs, apps, and games.  

So, the next time your student or child asks to download an app, you can read the Common Sense reviews and make a decision about what is best for your child at their age.  There is also an Advice for Parents section that covers everything from cellphones and screen time to mental health and technology addiction.  I always recommend that teachers share this information with parents. Parents will find a Latino section with materials in Spanish. It's a valuable resource in a digital world that changes so quickly.  

TechMas Tip #6: Informed Delivery

I want to preface this little tech tidbit by mentioning that this handy dandy little app is NOT educational.  However, being that it is the holiday season and most teachers live at school and are unable to be home to see what arrives by mail, I thought it would certainly be useful.  Today, when everyone is so nervous about packages being left on porches or mail being taken from their mailboxes, I thought I would share the USPS app, Informed Delivery.  You can sign up for free.  Simply create an account and verify your identity, then view notifications on your phone, tablet, or computer.  You can digitally preview the mail that will be landing in your mailbox that day which I think is awesome.  If you are expecting something important and you see that it should've been delivered on that day, then you can notify them that you are missing mail just by checking off a box. Having received a neighbors mail accidentally on several occasions, I understand how frustrating it can be when you don't receive the mail you are expecting.  In addition to mail, Informed Delivery will let you know when you have packages being delivered using USPS Tracking information.  

Preview your mail pieces.



View Package Tracking info.
It's something I've been using for a while now and I've found quite convenient.  I feel safer when I know that I've received everything that was intended for my household.  Hopefully, both of today's tips will empower you to stay informed in our ever evolving digital world.

Let me know what you think in the comments below.

~ Rosie F.











No comments:

Post a Comment